It’s been a while since we’ve had cake, just for us in the house. By a while I mean like three weeks. Over Easter, hot cross buns were made and chocolate was consumed, but the desire for a nice cake was fulfilled this weekend. I gave Sweetapolitia’s Cherry Cake a try, with a few adaptations of my own, and created a cute pink 6″ maraschino cherry and almond cake that was moist and ‘practically perfect in every way’ (yes I may have been watching Mary Poppins too).
I also found a use for my little cupcake stand, which I always forget about when photographing actual cupcakes. So it was temporarily converted into a maraschino cherry stand for these photos. Also our roses are in bloom constantly, so why not take advantage of it?
Make this cake
Eat this cake
Repeat. Because you’ll want to.
Cherry Cake: makes 3 six inch layers
- 180g flour
- 225g sugar
- 13g baking powder
- 85g cold butter, cut into pieces
- 150ml milk, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons Maraschino cherry juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 extra large egg whites, room temperature (or 3 large ones)
- pink food colouring
- About 15 Maraschino cherries, halved or quartered
- Preheat oven to 180˚C. Grease and line the bottoms of three 6″ tins.
- In the bowl of stand mixer with paddle attachment, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder on low speed.
- Add in the butter one piece at a time. Beat on low speed until all the butter has been incorporated, about 3 minutes. The mixture should have a fine crumbly texture.
- Combine half the milk, the cherry juice, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- In a separate measuring cup, gently whisk the egg whites and remaining milk.
- With stand mixer on low speed, gradually add the cherry juice mixture, followed by colour and beat until combined and smooth.
- Put the mixer back on low speed and add the egg white mixture in three parts, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Beat for 1 minute.
- Toss the cherry bits in a little flour and gently fold them into the batter by hand.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared pans.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center is removed with few crumbs.
- 100g butter
- 70g cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 tsp maraschino cherry juice
- 250g icing sugar
- Beat butter until pale and fluffy
- Add the cream cheese, vanilla, cherry juice and half the icing sugar and beat on low until a smooth paste forms.
- Add the rest of the icing sugar and beat on high until fluffy.
- Ice as desired.